Friday, September 25, 2009

Welcome to our "Be The Change" Blog

The 2008 - 2009 Be The Change Student Committee planned, organized and hosted a variety of initiatives within the school community to build awareness at all levels of society. Students dedicated countless hours outside of the instructional day to ensure that all events were successful in engagement and participation. With their leadership, the school community in three years raised enough money to build a water sanitization unit in Sri Lanka for children to attend school instead of fetching water. Not only were funds raised for the Adopt-A-Village campaign but the student committee also promoted character development through initiatives such as: Caught in the Act and the New Years' Resolution. Building awareness in our local community students organized a food drive to support Second Harvest.

A list of initiatives for 2008 - 2009:
  • Food Drive
  • Character Development
  • New Years Resolution
  • Vow of Silence
  • Poetry Night
  • Jump Rope for Heart
  • Caught in the Act

7 comments:

  1. Some new events that we might plan this year are is an event for the homeless which is when you are going to bring in any warm clothes and sleeping bags that you don’t use anymore. We also might do an elementary Olympics when there are many sports and kids can stay active and they can donate a dollar or two and have fun. Some other campaigns are tongue twister, jump rope, and jelly bean count competitions.
    Kyra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. R, I have a question. Do you think I should make my own BTC group at my new school? If so could you please give me advice on how to start it. I want to show how much of my knowledge of making change and transfer it into a different enviroment. I don't know if they like the idea of having a BTC group in their school.

    -GiGi :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gigi,
    I think you shuold help get your school exited on making a difference.Power to you.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, for you comment Julia!

    -GiGi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow GiGi! I'm really happy for you that you want to make a BTC group at school and I hope they let you. I know you have amazing ideas to share with evrybody!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. get started soon GiGi!!
    marc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, but I don't know where to start on how to make one though so I need advice. Does anybody have any suggestions?

    -GiGi

    ReplyDelete